Friday, April 04, 2014

Bits-n-Pieces


Sometimes as we are out-n-about, I end up with a mish-mash of things that in and of themselves don't really make a post but, together, they are, well...bits-n-pieces to put together as one.

As a matter of fact, these bits all happened the second Saturday after we went to the Ottoland sheepfold, which is why I want to show them now before they go into a Black Hole somewhere.  It was a full, fun day.

We drove directly from the sheepfold to the swan man's house about a kilometer away, in Goudriaan.  Goudriaan is also where Adrie, the woodturner, lives.  See how close everything is!

I call Arie the swan man because he's the guy who smokes swan meat...
as well as geese, wild pig, deer and mackerel.
 See that stash above?  That's ours...swan and mackerel only!

I know what you're thinking:  NO!!!  NOT THE SWANS!!!
But, like deer and other such animals, even swans can be too plentiful.
Too many swans and you destroy the polder for the farmers. Not good.
Once you get past the "Bambi Factor," you'll LOVE smoked swan.  Besides of which, it's so lean.
All that oak wood is for the smoker, where Astrid is standing (top right).

Arie also has a barn where his neighbor's cows bunk down.
One of the support poles is from a windmill sail!

We continued from Arie's to our favorite pannenkoeken restaurant,
catching the sights along the way.
Those herons are little rascals...always moving away when you get close.
The one above was at 1928mm on my miracle camera (for those who understand).

Have you ever seen a manure truck?  It's springtime in the polder for the farmers!

And what about a log trailer like this, pulled by a tractor.
Only out in the byways of the Dutch polder!

 At the pannenkoeken restaurant,  the sun was playing hide-n-seek.
How cool that they even have a kiddies' corner!

Between Arie's and the restaurant, there was lots of foot gear to enjoy.
The Dutch do like their clogs, especially on the farm.


Then, one last stop at Wijnhandel van Ouwerkerk in their new building next door to here.
It's gonna take some getting used to.  I loved the old look of the "museum" from 1860.
That place will now be used for storage/stock.  (sigh)

Like I said, just a bunch of bits-n-pieces, all on a Saturday afternoon!

10 comments:

  1. What a busy afternoon. Do they really use the clogs unto now? It mush be so uncomfortable to use.

    Wonderful run through of your day, Ginnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Al, accoding to Astrid clogs are very comfortable, especially out in the yard/fields. And they also protect your feet. I often see farmers wearing them, or street workers. I have a feeling it's a preference for some. Astrid says she wore clogs to school her entire 11th year, just to be different. HA! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. A day like that is always a treat. I love the back roads and there is so much to see, even if I have seen it before. Going to Arie is an adventure on its own. He has so many stories. Thank you for documenting these trips. It is what we see, it is want we 'want' to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to finally meet Arie for myself. He has such a huge complex there of everything under the sun. What memories we have! Thanks for being my Partner in Crime. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh....to spend some time in the polder...loved getting caught up on your outings. Thanks for sharing your part of the world! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, dear Lady, are going through your own Journey these days, with the passing of your dear father. My heart goes out to you. Please take care of YOU!

      Delete
  4. I like you eclectic post with a nice variety of photos. These are some pretty colorful clogs. My great-aunt in France had a little farm in the Marne area of France and she wore clogs all the time, as well as my great-uncle. Theirs were always black though and they called them “sabots.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing stories about clogs, Vagabonde, because sometimes we foreigners think they're not for real. But they are, as we both know. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  5. Your "about town" is charming - you should make it a regular monthly feature at least :) I had the "Oh, not the swans" reaction as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just love driving out-n-about, Margaret, and almost everything I show is about that, unless we're traveling further afield, of course. It's so important to me to keep a good record of the things I see here in this adopted country of mine!

      Delete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...